Hair loss isn’t the same as male pattern baldness, so don’t panic about hair loss. It’s however been noticed that around 25% of males start losing head hair by the time they are thirty-years-old and by the time they cross 50 years, half of them would have lost a significant amount of hair.
Some causes of hair loss could be stress, scalp infections, hormonal changes or side-effects of certain medications. However, such hair losses are temporary in nature and easily corrected. In some cases however, hair loss is out of your control as it’s hereditary.
There are a myriad of products available in the market that promise to fight hair loss, but a majority of them don’t deliver. The best way forward is to consult a dermatologist who can give you the lowdown on the cause of your hair loss and its treatment. Here are some effective treatments to look into:
- Nutrition & Hydration – A diet rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals promotes a healthier head of hairs with less hair breakage and weakened hair follicles. And since a quarter of your hair is made up of water, drink at least 8 glasses of water daily.
- Stress & Sleep – Unhealthy lifestyles, late hours, stress and worry not only lead to insufficient sleep but can also contribute towards hair loss. Learn to meditate and relax for a good night’s sleep.
- Shampoo – There are a number of shampoos and hair products promising to fight hair loss, but they only keep your hair and scalp squeaky clean. Better options are essential oils and natural herbs like rosemary and mint that improve blood circulation and nourish hair follicles.
- Minoxidil – This is one of the best solutions to slow down hair loss as of now. However the hair growth that you witness will be lost once you stop the medication.
- Propecia (Finasteride) – This drug blocks androgens from shutting down hair follicles. It also boosts the effect of Minoxidil in re-growing hair. However, it has to be taken life-long to prevent further hair loss.
- Laser light therapy – A hand-held laser device is used here to promote hair growth. The device has an attached comb to part the hair and ensure the laser reaches the scalp to stimulate hair follicles.
- Surgery – Hair replacement surgery is considered the best way out to transplant lost hair and a number of techniques exist to accomplish this.
A trip to your dermatologist is the best way out. The Dr Dixit Cosmetic Dermatology Clinic in Bangalore offers the best treatment modules for hair loss and is definitely worth a visit.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask Dr Dixit your question and get answers within a day.
The information provided in Dr. Dixit's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.