Hair loss is a global problem affecting about one-third of the population. It affects both males and females and isn’t restricted to adults only. While hair loss is a natural phenomenon with about 50-100 hairs falling off in a day as the follicles fluctuate between the growing and shedding phases. And those with longer hair tend to experience greater hair loss.
However if your hair loss is more than this, then it’s a cause for worry. Interestingly enough, stress and excessive worrying itself contribute towards hair loss! Other causes of hair loss could include a poor diet, mineral deficiencies, medication side effects or hormonal changes. Factors like scalp infections, dandruff, pollution and hereditary conditions could also cause hair loss. Here are a few tips towards reducing hair loss:
- Diet and supplements – Consuming a diet rich in proteins helps to curb hair loss. Vitamin supplements also help. Vitamin E improves blood circulation in the scalp and nourishes hair follicles. Vitamin A promotes production of sebum in the scalp while vitamin B retains hair color.
- Oils and shampoos – Massaging your scalp regularly with essential oils keeps your hair follicles active. Regular washing with mild shampoos also keeps your hair and scalp clean while lowering the risk of infections and dandruff.
- Hair styling – Avoid brushing your hair while it’s wet and at the same time, don’t rub it dry either. Frequent use of a hot hair dryer can also weaken the hair shaft, leading to hair loss. And if you are experiencing hair fall, then avoid tying your hair tightly or putting chemicals in your hair like hair dyes, hair sprays, etc.
- Hydration – Since one-fourth of the hair shaft consists of water, you should drink at least 8 glasses of water a day to have healthy hair.
- Bad habits – Alcohol and smoking are known to be not only injurious to your general health, but to your hair growth too. It’s time to cut down or quit these habits.
- Naturopathy – Various items found in your kitchen are known to be helpful in promoting hair growth. You could apply juices of ginger, garlic or onions and leave it overnight in your hair. Alternatively you could prepare a cup of green tea and apply it on your scalp for an hour before washing off.
If none of the above helps in reducing your hair fall, you also have the better option of consulting a dermatologist. And if you are in Bangalore, then you could always visit the renowned Dr Dixit Cosmetic Dermatology Clinic for a detailed review of your hair fall.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask Dr Dixit your question and get answers within a day.
The information provided in Dr. Dixit's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.